It is so easy to set yogurt at home! Here’s a fun and flavorful recipe for mango yogurt. Enjoy!
My mom sets yogurt at home everyday during Ramzaan for lassis, dahi baray, smoothies etc. It is great for people who don’t have anyone to run to the store all the time.
I added a little twist to mom’s recipe by using mango puree. The result is a delicious and healthy dessert that everyone can enjoy! So without further adieu, here’s how you can try it too.
1) Either take fresh cow’s milk OR 9 tbsp milk powder dissolved in 3 glasses of water (3 tbsp per glass). I used Nido. Tetra pack milk is NOT to be used. Luke warm the milk. Shouldn’t be “hot”. Also add sugar to the milk as per your liking.
2) Puree one medium sized mango in the food processor or any other fruit (peaches, strawberries, which ever flavor you love). Add the puree to the milk and mix until dissolved. (Or add the milk to the puree and pulse it in your processor to dissolve).
3) Pour your flavoured milk into a large bowl in which you want to set the yogurt. Add 1 tsp yogurt to it and mix. This 1 tsp of yogurt will act as your yogurt starter. Make sure you only use yogurt made from fresh cow’s milk as the starter, not Nestle or any other packaged brand.
4) Keep the bowl in a warm place for 4-6 hours or until the yogurt starts to set. Indication of setting is that its consistency will be jiggly and not runny 😀 Once that happens, you need to move it to the refrigerator and cool it completely before consuming. You can warm up your microwave for 2-3 minutes, turn it off and leave your bowl there. (Wese aj kal Karachi mein itni garmi hai ke apna bhi dahi ban jae).
5) Top it with your choice of fruits and enjoy!
IMPORTANT stuff to prevent you from failing miserably:
- Tetra pack milk is NOT to be used.
- Packaged dahi is NOT to be used.